• Dundas Castle | Photo © 2016 Bullet, www.autopsyofarchitecture.com

    Dundas Castle

    Known as the Dundas Castle or Craig-E-Clare Castle, it was first built as a summer lodge by Bradford Lee Gibert in the early 1880s. When he died in 1911, the land and lodge was sold to Maurice Sternbeck, before it was acquired by Ralph Wurts-Dundas in 1915. Construction on the castle began soon after, but […]

  • South Carolina State Hospital | Photo © 2016 Bullet, www.autopsyofarchitecture.com

    South Carolina State Hospital

    As far back as 1694 it was recognized that there was a need to care for the mentally ill when the Lord Proprietors of the Carolinas decreed they should be cared for locally at public expense. In 1751 the colonial government recognized the mental health need of slaves, and in 1762 the Fellowship Society of […]

  • F.D. McArthur School | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.autopsyofarchitecture.com

    F.D. McArthur School

    F. D. McArthur School (originally 17th Avenue School, also F. D. McArthur Elementary School) was a former Birmingham city school located on the northwest corner of 17th Avenue North and 25th Street near Carraway Hospital. It was named for attorney and Birmingham Board of Education president F. D. McArthur. The school’s colors were green and […]

  • Eastern State Penitentiary | Photo © 2016 Bullet, www.autopsyofarchitecture.com

    Eastern State Penitentiary

    Eastern State Penitentiary was erected in 1929 and at the time, it was the largest and most expensive public structure in the country with a final price tag of $750,000. Its architectural significance first arose in 1821, when British architect John Haviland was chosen to design the building. Haviland found most of his inspiration for […]

  • Nolan Plantation House | Photo © 2015 Bullet, www.autopsyofarchitecture.com

    Nolan Plantation House

    This southern plantation home was built in 1906 by James A. Nolan. The house takes on the common rectangular box form of country stores at the turn of the century, thought its not known if the false front is an original feature of the building or if it was added on later. The Nolan farm […]

Enter your email address below to get updates on new blog posts and locations by email.

Location

Dundas Castle | Photo © 2016 Bullet, www.autopsyofarchitecture.com

Dundas Castle

Known as the Dundas Castle or Craig-E-Clare Castle, it was first built as a summer lodge by Bradford Lee Gibert in the early 1880s. When he died in 1911, the land and lodge was sold to Maurice Sternbeck, before it was acquired by Ralph Wurts-Dundas in 1915. Construction on the castle began soon after, but […]

South Carolina State Hospital | Photo © 2016 Bullet, www.autopsyofarchitecture.com

South Carolina State Hospital

As far back as 1694 it was recognized that there was a need to care for the mentally ill when the Lord Proprietors of the Carolinas decreed they should be cared for locally at public expense. In 1751 the colonial government recognized the mental health need of slaves, and in 1762 the Fellowship Society of […]

F.D. McArthur School | Photo © 2014 Bullet, www.autopsyofarchitecture.com

F.D. McArthur School

F. D. McArthur School (originally 17th Avenue School, also F. D. McArthur Elementary School) was a former Birmingham city school located on the northwest corner of 17th Avenue North and 25th Street near Carraway Hospital. It was named for attorney and Birmingham Board of Education president F. D. McArthur. The school’s colors were green and […]